Barlow Francis Channing 183496

Francis Channing Barlow (see Plate F2 ) was born in Brooklyn, New York, on 19 October Itt-H, His father was a minister, and he was raised in his motlier's hometown of Brookline, Massachusetts. Barlow was a member of the Harvard graduating class of 1855, after which he went to New York to study law. Admitted to the bar in 1858, he was in practice there until the outbreak of the Civil War.

He joined the 12th Regiment, New York State Militia as a private in the heat of passion that followed the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter. The next evening, 20 April 1861, he married Arabella Griffith at St Paul's Chapel. I le joined out of love of his country, and after the war he would write: "No one rejoices more than myself in the overcoming of a rebellion the design of which was to destroy this Government for the purpose of maintaining the monstrous institution of slavery."

Barlow would not remain a private for long. Within two weeks of enlisting he had been commissioned a first lieutenant in the regiment's engineer company; He was mustered out at the end of the regiment's term of three months' service; and was then appointed lieutenant-colonel of the 61st New York Infantry. One of his soldiers later wrote that Barlow "was not at first sight an impressive looking officer, f le was of medium height, of slight build, with a pallid countenance, and a weakish drawling voice. In his movements there was an appearance of loose jointedness and an absence of prim stiffness."

Rapidly promoted to colonel, he led the *>ls: throughout the Peninsula campaign. In battle ihere he proved his personal heroism, and demanded the same from his soldiers. In the Seven Days' fighting (25June-l July 1862), at the head of his regiment as it moved up to the line, he came across several unarmed, skulking Federal soldiers. "1 spoke to several and asked them why they did not go on. They said they had lost their guns," he wrote.111 pointed them out to my men as examples of what a coward is." He praised the conduct of his own men once they got into action, saying that 'The greater part of the men stood firm and erect during the firing, and only stooped or went down when ordered to do so..,

At Antfetam (17 September 1862) he was severely wounded but, two days later« his service was recognised by appointment as a brigadiergeneral of volunteers. He was given command of a brigade in XI Corps which, at Chan eel lorsville

(Mi May 18^3), was driven from the field in confusion during the Jlank attack made by Stonewall Jackson's corps on the Union right.

In the defense of Cemetery Ridge on the first day of Gettysburg (I July 1863) Barlow was wounded and lef'i for Head on the field, with his arms and legs tern porarily paralyzed. Years afte r the war the Confederate Gen. John B.Gordon described how he ran across a wounded Union officer alter the first days fighting. "Quickly dismounting and lifting his head, I gave him water from my canteen, asking his name and the character of his wounds. 1 ie was Major General Francis C. Barlow, of New York, and of Howard's corps." In fact, however, modern scholarship has proved ihat Gordon was not in the same part of the Held as Barlow, and this story was not based in (act.

Exchanged by the Confederates, Barlow recovered in time to participate in the 1864 campaign against Lee's Army of Northern Virginia as a divisional commander in U Corps under Win field Scott Hancock, li was during this campaign, at Spotsylvania, that lie decided his troops could overrun Confederate entrenchments by a massive attack in column, without artillery preparation or any halting to fire. In the early hours of 12 May 1864, somewhat delayed by log, his division and that commanded by David Rirney smashed through the Confederate li nes at the "Mule Shoe , capturing some 3,000 prisoner^ including two generals, 30 colors, and 20 cannon.

After a forced absence on sick leave during the siege of Petersburg. Barlow recovered and returned to the army to be active at the b,mk Sailor's Creek and in the Appomattox campaign. On 25 Ma\ 18^5 ht named a major-general of volunteers in recognition of his m :

After the war Barlow went into politics, twice being ek t ten state in New York, as well as serving as a L Hiied States state attorney general in 1871. It was in this latter position ■■'■■ the first prosecution of the politically corrupt "Twved Rin^ City. He died in New York on 11 January 1896. and was buried as Brookline, Massachusetts.

Francis Barlow Civil War

Engraved portrait of Francis Barlow from the 9 July 1864 issue of Harper's Weekly. He wears a somewhat oversized custom-made fatigue blouse or "Sack coat", with the single star of a brigadier-general on the front of his forage cap. According to to the paper, "Throughout the [1864] campaign Barlow is conspicious among the noble band of united heroes, officers and men, In the very active front of the battle." Badly wounded at both Antietam and Gettysburg, this pale, slightly built 30-year-old gained his greatest success in the capture of the "Mule Shoe" salient at Spotsylvania in May 1864.

Engravings Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burn side, a West Point graduate, invented a carbine, and had left the army to organize its manufacture in Rhode island before the war broke out. He raised a regiment immediately, which became the 1st Rhode Island, and led It to Washington, where he was soon promoted to a brigade command. Here he wears his original regimental uniform, a dark blue overshirt with gray trousers; it is intriguing to recall that his first trade was as a tailor.

Ambrose Burn side, a West Point graduate, invented a carbine, and had left the army to organize its manufacture in Rhode island before the war broke out. He raised a regiment immediately, which became the 1st Rhode Island, and led It to Washington, where he was soon promoted to a brigade command. Here he wears his original regimental uniform, a dark blue overshirt with gray trousers; it is intriguing to recall that his first trade was as a tailor.

BURNSIDE, Ambrose Everett (1824*81)

Ambrose Burn side (sec Piale C2) was born at Liberty, Indiana, on 23 May 1K24. After finishing primary school he was apprenticed to a tailor, and later became a partner in a tailor's shop in Liberty before his father was able to secure him an appointment to the L'S Military Academy. He was graduated from the Academy in 1847 and appointed a brevet second lieutenant in the 2nd Artillery.

As the war i tí Mexico was nearly finished when he graduated, his only wartime service was in the Mexico City garrison. Thereafter he served on the southwestern frontier, being wounded slightly in a skirmish with Apaches in 1849. While in the army he invented a breech-loading carbine which used a fixed brass cartridge. He resigned iiis commission in 1853 and went to Bristol, Rhode Island, where he gathered investors to begin manufacturing this weapon. He was, however, unable to sell it to the army. A very sociable man, Burnside was both nominated to Congress and given a job with the Illinois Central Railroad, then being run by George B.McClellan, an old army friend. Burnside also became major-general of the Rhode Island militia. On the outbreak of war Burnside organised the 1st Rhode Island Infantry, one of the first northern regiments to march to the relief of Washington. He was there given command of a brigade, which he commanded at First Bull Run (21 July 1861). For his service he received a commission as brigadier-general of volunteers on 6 August. Burnside was friendly with President Lincoln, and received command of the expedition sent to the North Carolina coast, where he successfully made landings and set up permanent bases. For these successes lie was promoted to major-general of volunteers on 18 March 1862.

Returning to the Army of the Potomac outside Washington, Burnside was given command of IX Corps at Andetam, During the battle of 17 September 1862 he moved slowly, taking precious hours to capture a bridge across Andetam Creek, which could have been forded easily at a number of points; this delay allowed Lee to concentrate his troops to face other threats. Even so, when McClellan was relieved of command for not pursuing Lee, Lincoln appointed Burnside to command the Army of the Potomac on 7 November 1862.

The army, loyal to McClellan from top to bottom, was not happy about the change* Major-General Marsena Patrick, the army's provost marshal, wrote that after Burnside took over "fie appeared well - very well, but all seemed to think there was one they liked much better... Patrick also observed that Burnside was "rather obtuse in his conceptions & is very forgetful."

Bumside led the Army of the Potomac directly south toward Richmond, but was halted on the Rappahannock River at Fredericksburg. Losing time while pontoon bridges were brought up and

Commanders Fredericksburg

The sociable and popular Bum side, here wearing regulation uniform as a major-general, became the Army of the Potomac's third commander, but -as he freely admitted - he lacked the ability for such a post. After greatly damaging the army at Fredericksburg he was demoted to command of his old IX Corps. After the war Ulysses S.Grant wrote of him: "General Bum side was an officer who was generally liked and respected. He was not, however, fitted to command an army. No one knew this better than himself. He always admitted his blunders, and extenuated those of officers under him beyond what they were entitled to. It was hardly his fault that he was ever assigned to a separate command."

Was this article helpful?

0 0


  • proserpina milano
    Where was ambrose burnside born?
    8 years ago
  • ursula
    When was francis barlow born?
    1 year ago

Post a comment