Armored cars joined the pursuit of the AFSR from November 1919 to April 1920. The Konarmiya, with the 9th, 32nd and 1st (52nd) In Honor of Sverdlov detachments, maintained steady pressure on the retreating Whites and was particularly active in the Don Basin and Rostov region in early 1920. Elements of the Kmmrmiya supported by the 1st (52nd) routed a White cavalry unit supported by four tanks near Rostov on «January. The Whites badly damaged the Red care, however, during street fighting inside Rostov.
The Whites destroyed or disabled all abandoned armored cars; nevertheless, Red losses during the campaign were more than offset by the number of those captured in intact or somewhat serviceable condition.
Red attention now turned to the west where the Russo-Polish war had broken out on 25 April. The Whites reformed in the Crimea while the 34 Reds only maintained minor forces in the south. In May, Wrangel's
(Left to right}: Garford gun car Falcon II, Russian Austins Enemy of Capital and Stenka Razin, 1st Armored Car Detachment, February 1920. Four armored cars were in the detachment at Yamburg in September 1918. The unit won the Order of the Red Banner for actions against the Poles in 1920. Enemy of Capital is on display in St. Petersburg. (Deryabin)
veterans thrust out of the Crimea and captured 75% of the armored cars in 13th Army's three detachments (23rd, 21th, 47th). Three more cars were taken from Commander Zhloba's mounted corps in June. In all, during summer and autumn, the Whites captured 16 armored cars.
The Reds achieved some success against an amphibious invasion by the Whites in July on the Sea of Azov. The 48th Armored Car Detachment under Commander Zhorzh (four Austins: In Honor of Comrade Lenin, In Honor of Comrade Sverdlov. In Honor of Comrade Zinaviev, In Honor of Comrade Trotsky) checked a significant advance inland. The detachment consisted of four heavy and three light auxiliary trucks, two motorcycles and 101 men. An "abandoned bomb," however, destroyed the Sverdlov.
Peace in the war with Poland on 12 October allowed the Reds to shift massive forces to break the White line along the Dnieper River with the 4th, 6th and 13th Armies and the 1st (Konarmiya) and 2nd Horse Armies. Armored car detachments concentrated on the Southern Front included the operationally ready 3rd, 11 th, 14th, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 32nd. 34th, 37th, 38th, and 47th, and an additional four attached to the horse armies. Another seven were being refitted in reserve.
Understanding they would face off against White tanks at the Kakhovka bridgehead, the Reds created the anti-armor 42nd Heavy Armored Auto Detachment out of existing units in August, Four of the six Garford cars with 76.2mm guns are known: Anti-Christ, Red Hem, Powerful and Pugachei Also attached were the Austin car. Communard, and the Fiat, Falcon.
The decisive battle at Kakhovka took three days. The Reds were dug in with three carefully prepared static lines of trenches, barbed wire and anti-tank ditches. The Whites, outnumbered in armored assets, artillery and infantry, attacked frontally. widely spaced to limit casualties, but were progressively worn down. The 3rd, 23rd, 24th, 42nd and 47th detachments directly participated at Kakhovka. The 24th included two Fiats, Chort and Revolutionary Hurricane. Anti-Christ knocked out one tank.
Although the Reds massed 50 armored cars to strike at the Perekop entrance to the Crimea, White defenses and die narrowness of the isthmus prevented all armored units from coming into effective action. After the breakthrough, the Reds captured the last 17 White armored cat's at Kerch.
To the southeast, the number of detachments on the Turkestan Front varied between three and five during 1920. The 53rd Armored Car Detachment distinguished itself in this theater, winning the Order of the Red Banner for helping overthrow the Rokharan Emirate and effectively planting the Red flajr in Central Asia. The 53rd had nvo Austin 1st series vehicles. Communist and Republican, and one Lanchester gun car.
A total of 109 Austins were in the Red inventory at the end of 1921: 16 were 1st series, 15 were 2nd series and 78 were 3rd series or "Russian
Austin" (exact mix unknown). 76 Austins of various makes remained on the books by the end of 1929, but die majority were in differing stages of disrepair, 12 Russian Austins were in the 1st Armored Car Detachment, Caucasian Red Banner Army, in 1929. The last of the Austins, including four remaining Austin Kegresse with badly worn tracks, were withdrawn from seivice between 1931 and 1933.
Was this article helpful?