Battle Drum

This drum was found on the battlefield. It was used as a model for a drum that is seen in a famous painting of the fight by artist Peter Rothermel. Drummers were often young boys who went into combat. They beat out signals on the drum that directed the troops to move one way or another.

Union Battle Drum

Strapping to keep the drum head taut

Hand-painted eagle and crest

Strapping to keep the drum head taut

Small grove of trees that marked the center of Meade's lines ,

Hand-painted eagle and crest

General Lewis Armistead,

The siege of Vicksburg

Vicksburg, mississippi, is a town on the east bank of the Mississippi River between Memphis, Tennessee, and New Orleans, Louisiana. The Confederate military greatly fortified Vicksburg and set up heavy cannons that could fire on any vessel passing the town. After the Union navy conquered New Orleans and Memphis in 1862, Vicksburg and Port Hudson, to its south, were the only points that kept the river closed to Union commerce and traffic. Vicksburg was also the last place where Confederate territory west of the Mississippi could pass troops and goods east to the rest of the South. Through late 1862 and half of 1863, Union commander Ulysses S. Grant sent several Northern forces there. Each campaign failed. Then in May, 1863, Grant maneuvered an army behind the town. After some small battles, he drove Vicksburg's defenders inside the town's trenches and fortifications. Meanwhile, the Union navy began shelling the garrison from the river. The town was surrounded by Grant's forces and besieged for more than forty days. No food or ammunition entered it. Both soldiers and civilians were reduced to eating mules and rats. Citizens lived in bomb shelters in hillsides. After more than a month of hunger, repeated attacks, and shelling by Northern forces, Confederate General John Pemberton surrendered the town on July 4.

Battle Vicksburg Bomb Shelter

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment