Ikms Troop Movements


Military Complex in their hands, though more than a year of fighting on the world had taken its toll on the complex, and especially its supply caches. Still, the Allied troops had better facilities than the Loyalists, which had supplemented the quarters they seized from a handful of outlying outposts and small towns with several quickly-assembled "towns" of pre fab buildings and DropShips converted from cargo carriers and heavy equipment transports to temporary quarters.

The "spring melt" on Marlette came six months after the first blizzard, inundating rivers and streams which quickly rose above their banks and flooded the already-soaked ground. In the span of three weeks In late May, the two opposing forces went from sitting on a frozen, snow covered landscape to battling back the rising waters. The Allied troops on the Jedda Complex for the most part had little to worry about, though the unseasonable snowfalls had driven the waterline up so high that the Loyalists had to erect sandbag dikes to keep the floods from wiping out their encampments and overtaking their DropShips.

With the Loyalists suddenly forced to deal with a very different kind of enemy, Generals Roberts and Felsner went on the attack. Using ad-hoc battalions formed from their combined hovercraft, VTOL units and BattleMechs, the generals struck the Fifth Lyran Guards with two regiments, catching the Guards off-guard. With the majority of their armored and even BattleMech units safely hangared within DropShips or secure buildings, they could not react in time to counter the Allied assault that overtook two of their primary encampments. General Roberts followed up with two more regiments of mechanized infantry and heavy armor—though only after five hours of detours to avoid unstable land—successfully capturing the encampments and knocking more than two-thirds of the Lyran Guards out of the action.

The rest of the Lyran Guards, still under the command of Leftenant General Barry Palin, united with the Marlette CMM to stage a counterattack of their own. By the time they organized the operation, the entire plain to the northeast of the Jedda Complex was under anywhere from two centimeters to six meters of water. The Loyalists prepared for a move before the floodwaters rose anymore while they launched their attack. The Allied troops were ready for them, though.

The battles over the course of the next two days took place primarily between the islands formed by the larger hills, with the Allied troops simply driving the Loyalists ahead of them. Reinforced by an additional battalion of hovercraft salvaged from the Fifth Lyran Guards, the Allies pushed the Loyalists back to their flooded encampments and LZs. While the more mobile units attempted to hold the line, General Palin and General Waxon, commanding the CMM, ordered their DropShips to lift off.

Unfortunately, it wasn't so easy. Several of the DropShips were standing in a meter or more of water, while others had huge dikes built around them. As soon as they started up their engines, they flashed the water to steam, causing damage both to themselves and to other DropShips. While many of the DropShips had sunk somewhat into the softened ground, three had sunk so far that they could not lift off without damaging themselves. One other, a Union, took enough damage from the steam flashes and other debris blown against it by other DropShips lifting off that one of its engines cut out at thirty meters in the air, dropping the vessel back to the ground and flooding the engineering compartments (the vessel is still there on Marlette, one-quarter buried in the ground).

The Loyalists pulled back to the both drier and more defensible territory of the Great Ryan Expanse, but the Allied forces continued to push hard, felling a CMM combat command on the 11th of June and capturing two infantry battalions that had lost their transportation weeks earlier in the floods. Generals Roberts and Felsner pushed hard for the next month, slowly wearing their opponents down and even capturing Leftenant General Palin on the 20th.

In fact, the Allies were making such incredible progress that by the end of July, the remaining Loyalist forces had been reduced to what amounted to three bare combat commands. But then the Loyalists received some reinforcements.

Following the arrival of Victor Steiner-Davion on Tikonov, the Loyalist defense there very rapidly fell apart, with the Fifteenth DLC and the First Republican withdrawing rather than be destroyed. They arrived on the 7th of August after pushing hard to get away from the Allied task force, jumping through the unpopulated CRRS-22 system, where their JumpShips received recharges from an AFFS recharge and transit station (though not secret, It is uncommon knowledge that centuries ago the Federated Suns set up recharge stations in systems directly connecting regional capitals and other significant systems).

The newly-arrived Loyalist troops rendezvoused with the CMM In Rosencarl and began to coordinate their defense against the two Crucis Lancers RCTs.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment