Other Actions

In some respects, events taking place throughout the bulk of the Federated Suns was beginning to take a back seat to the battles for a mere handful of worlds. Of course, those few worlds were" also among the most important within the Federated Suns.

The Archon and her public relations staff concentrated non-violenhenergies on keeping the citizens of the Federated Suns content with her rule while behind the scenes her enforcers were doing all they could to suppress the demonstrations that were still happening all across the nation.

Most troubling—and distracting—to the Archon were the terrorist attacks that were taking place right on New Avalon. Power plants, communications stations, network hubs and military command and control centers were all targeted. But unlike traditional terrorist activities, these attacks didn't hurt a single civilian. Indeed, the only people actually harmed in these attacks were senior military officers and bureaucrats who professed very devout loyalty to the Archon. Investigators very quickly surmised that these terrorists were highly skilled military or MIIO operatives, though their every clue lead them to a dead end.

Elsewhere, Duke Sandoval was still doing some of Katherine's dirty work. With the Combine making a very powerful counterattack, the Duke needed every bit of support he could get from the Archon.

Duke Hasek, on the other hand, was doing very well within his Capellan March. The Confederation was again looking toward gaining more territory within the Chaos March, something the citizens of the Capellan March were very much against. As always, in preparation for movement within that region, the Capellan Chancellor used his Maskirovka and other agencies to stir up pro-Capellan sentiments. As a part of this, he did so on March worlds such as Tikonov, which was already gripped by war, as well as worlds like Nanking and Buchlau. In response, the Duke spent what few official discretionary funds he had left, plus a sizeable sum of his own personal fortune, to rile up the citizens of both the Capellan March and the near Chaos March in his own favor.


With the Bryceland DMM holed up within the interior of Fantos Island, Marshal Vance Lamont had to tread carefully or else be labeled a butchcr. Though he had the combined strength of two RCTs that he could throw against what was still left of the Bryceland DMM, he would undoubtedly kill tens of thousands of civilians if he made a direct assault.

Instead he relied primarily on air power to do the job for him. Though he only had four air wings at his disposal, he had scraped together two more wings of conventional aircraft from the Outland Beta Military Complex, plus he had dozens of DropShips at his command. He knew that he would have the element of surprise for only a short time, so he fielded every airframe he could put into the skies over Bryceland and proceeded to bomb and strafe every DMM unit that was out in the open. He also made strategic combat drops, trying his best to avoid landing on or traversing over any farmland at all, to surround small DMM commands.

Marshal Lamont kept this up for three months, and all the while he had his troops work closely with Bryceland's farmers, working hard to build a sense of trust with them.

On June 19th, though, he radically changed gears. Leftenant General Oci Begurnson had kept the bulk of his DMM holed up within the capital city of Harland's Port where Marshal Lamont's fighters were less willing to engage openly. During the previous week he had secretly moved all of his special forces and elite infantry into the city. With those men in place, he then moved the rest of his two RCTs closer to the city, as if they were preparing to assault the capital. On the evening of the 19th, however, his troops already inside the city launched an attack that would very quickly end the fighting on the world.

in the course of fourteen hours of constant action, they captured or killed every senior officer within the DMM. In the meantime. Lamont's armored and standard infantry units rolled into the city battalion by battalion, securing the city's peripheral suburbs. At 0548 local time, General Begurnson was captured, and seven hours later he officially surrendered his command. While sporadic fighting continued on for anoth er few days, Bryceland was pacified and in Allied hands.

Marshal Lamont stayed on Bryceland for several more months to oversee final pacification of the world. More than that, though, as he learned of the Combine counterattack, he made a deal with General Begurnson—he would move the DMM to Kesai IV and rearm it, preparing it to deal with a potential DCMS strike into the Federated Suns. Begurnson grudgingly agreed to the plan only after hearing that the First Chisholm's Raiders were pushed back to Breed. While Marshal Lamont prepared for that move. Leftenant General Margeurite McCaffee and her Third Davion Guards remained on the world as garrison.


Once word that DeMaestri's Sluggers had moved to Panpour reached Marshal of the Armies Davion, he knew that he had to act or else risk opening up the entire belly of the Crucis March to potential Allied aggression. Unfortunately, he had little in the region to strike with; the Archon would not allow him to release the Eleventh Avalon Hussars, currently on Ridgebrook, or the Fourth Donegal Guards, sitting on Taygeta, to hit the world. That left him with Hansen's Roughriders, also on Taygeta, and the assorted Capellan and Crucis March Militias in the region to call upon. With little other choice, he ordered Colonel Wolfgang Hansen to get underway while he mobilized what portions of the Warren and Islamabad CMMs that he could.

Colonel Hansen met Leftenant General Martin Masar in the Warren system on 20 June, and once the general had readied the three conventional and one 'Mech regiment he was bringing, made the jump out, enroute to Panpour. Their second jump brought them to Songgang, where they met the Islamabad CMM, before they finally reached the Panpour system.

With eight 'Mech battalions and six conventional regiments behind him, plus three aerospace fighter wings, General Masar definitely had the superior force on the world. On the other hand, Jalestar Aerospace employed quite a few ex-AFFC fighter pilots as test pilots, and the city of Kantara was home to even more ex-military officers. While General Masar landed on Panpour under ostensibly neutral auspices, Iriana Salvas, CEO of Jalestar, quietly asked her pilots to recruit additional defensive help from among Kantara's population. With that additional assistance, Salvas could put a hun

dred fighters in the air and field an additional strengthened 'Mech battalion in defense of her factory.

General Masar attacked on the 2nd of August, four days after landing. Knowing he would likely be facing a tough aerospace fighter contingent, he had brought several heavy air defense units with him and deployed them among his assault force. When he did move to assault the Jalestar complex on the western side of Kantara, the Jalestar pilots took to the air and attempted to strafe his lines. Flying mostly light fighters, however, they lost a number of ships in just the first hours to Masar's air defense units. Moreover, Masar had dispatched many of his own fighters to damage the airfields and spaceport in Kantara, making it impossible for the Jalestar pilots to land there. With the Jalestar fighters forced to land at alternate fields in a two hundred kilometer radius around the city, Masar very handily took command of the skies over Kantara, and by dispatching infantry units by air to several of those local fields, Masar also managed to capture almost a third of Jalestar's surviving fighter complement.

With the fighter threat relatively neutralized, Masar moved in on Kantara. He used Colonel Hansen's mercenaries as skirmishers and as a mobile cavalry to push or lure forward guards away while he moved into the city, initially bypassing the massive Jalestar Field complex and taking command of the com munities surrounding the field. Though the cadets of the Second Albion fought hard, they were simply outgunned and outmatched by Masar's militia troops, especially with Hansen's Roughriders effectively riding shotgun. Masar did not want to push any further to take the other Jalestar facility near the heart of the city on the shores of Lake Vulta, however. By taking the outer facility, he had quite ably denied the factory's production to the Allies and tied up the two units on-planet. His infantry and 'Mech units slowly began an Incursion into the city in an attempt to secure more, but he had no desire to damage or destroy the city.

Masar did dispatch small commands to various other strategic locations on the world, though mainly only to military facilities and the easily accessible manufacturing concerns that supplied Jalestar with materials. He did not attempt to occupy the world's capital city of Matarn, however. When Wave Three ended, General Masar and his troops were in a defensive posi tion, ready for the Inevitable counterattack.

Strategic Movements

For the first time in over a year, both the Loyalists and the Allies had very few additional units that they had available for purposes of strategic movement. Indeed, by the middle of 3064, most of the major military units within the Federated Suns were tied up in one way or another by the Civil War or by related actions. Vet a few significant moves were still made.

The Second Davion Guards, having slowly made their way up the Capellan March, continued on from Hadnall to the new Regional Command Center on Novaya Zemlya. Likewise, the First Federated Suns Armored Cavalry, having missed the Second Chisholm's Raiders on Atlas also reported to Novaya Zemlya. There both Fleet Admiral Kossacks and General Chapman developed plans for potential attacks on a dozen different worlds.

Upon hearing of the DCMS Reprisal, both the First Ceti Hussars and the rearmed Bryceland DMM moved to Kesai IV In preparation for a potential Combine attack over the border. While the Hussars stripped the DMM of their JumpShip group, the two former enemy units remained at peace with each other. Eventually, though, the First Hussars prepared for another move. That move would not come until well into the next wave, however.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment