Other Actions

As the Civil War grew into a conflict that quickly enveloped the entire Federated Suns, civil disobedience became something of the normal way of life on scores of Federated Suns worlds. While the Archon had quite effectively placed a "bad news" blackout over the entire nation, one that officially prevented the release of news concerning fighting anywhere in the Federated Suns without the express consent of the Archon's political staff, she could not stop the spread of news altogether. Merchants and other DropShip and JumpShip captains passed news by word-of-mouth while military commanders on both sides received better situation reports via the FAX network than by HPG. Likewise, ComStar representatives continued to pass information between stations, information that occasion ally was leaked to the civil populations.

Yet while the war was definitely heating up, the entire Federated Suns had not yet exploded into war. Leaders on both sides were still scrambling to move key units around like chess pieces and to get a grasp on the big picture within the nation. Moreover, those same leaders were cautiously watching the

Draconis Combine and the Capellan Confederation, hoping that neither ancient enemy would dare take advantage of the situation to launch their own attacks.

Benet III

Hauptmann General Ursa Potroy and her Fifth Donegal Guards had crushed the majority of the Forty-first Avalon Hussars in late January, forcing what little remained of the unit to go underground. Unfortunately for Potroy, that final remnant of the Hussars remained a constant thorn in her side.

Having coordinated with Allied sympathizers within the Benet III militia and civilian government, Major Jack Potterton and his surviving Hussars began to fight a guerrilla campaign against the Fifth Donegal, targeting only military targets. Indeed, the surviving Hussars were overly careful with their target selections, but unfortunately their underground allies were not so discriminating. In April and May, of the more than fifty targets destroyed by the guerillas, a dozen cost the lives of innocent civilians, turning public support against Potterton and his Hussars.

While Major Potterton did eventually track down the offenders and, after a Hussars military tribunal proved they willingly and maliciously bombed civilian targets, publicly hanged them, Benet Ill's population had already turned against the Hussars' cause. Potterton tried to keep the pressure up on the Fifth Donegal, but his men were betrayed at almost every turn. By the end of July,

Potroy's troops had killed or arrested more than a hundred so-called terrorists and claimed that Potterton was on the run.

Her claims were not far from the truth. Potterton and his few surviving Hussars hid out in the Iron Mountains, preferring to choose their own battles rather than face certain death. They remained there, still heavily armed, waiting for the anti-Hussars furor to die down on the world.

Kentares IV

Lord Marcus Roland and Leftenant General Jackson Pory had quite effectively dismembered the organized Allied defense on Kentares IV in eliminating Duke Eric Dresari and his militia, but their excesses on the world brought Kentares' population into near-rebellion. Only their heavy-handed methods kept the population from exploding into outright revolt. Yet on a weekly basis, Pory's troops were killing dozens and arresting hundreds more.

Nevertheless, some underground revolutionary cells formed and began to fight a terrorist war against Roland and Pory. The underground revolutionaries could do little directly against Pory's armed soldiers, though. Instead, their attacks were meant to keep the Loyalists off balance and fearful. Unfortunately, each of their attacks only brought further retaliation against Kentares' innocent civilians.

The violence continued on throughout the First Wave and well into the Second Wave, until Allied support arrived on Kentares to relieve the world.


The Battle for Kilbourne was probably one of the quickest of any of the significant actions that occurred in any of the Civil War's eight waves. On the suggestion of Field Marshal Sortek, Marshal Mordecai Rand-Davion, commander of the First Crucis Lancers, mobilized his RCT and another brigade of free regiments drawn from several nearby worlds and descended on Kilbourne on 17 April. Jumping in to seven pirate points surrounding the world, Marshal Rand-Davion took the world's defenders by complete surprise, surrounding their primary positions in Trent and Hereford and attacking before they could fully mobilize.

Marshal Rand Davion did give the Kilbourne DMM and the Kilbourne Academy Training Battalion the chance to surrender or lay down their arms before attacking, an opportunity that many took advantage of. More than half of the training battalion refused to surrender, however, and the First Lancers destroyed them on the academy grounds in Trent within thirty minutes of landing.

The fight in Hereford took longer, but still lasted only a few days. Surprised by the Lancers' sudden appearance, the DMM could only field a handful of understrength mixed combat com mands to counter the Lancers. Marshal Rand-Davion dropped two 'Mech battalions and a battle armor battalion directly onto the DMM while his DropShips grounded and unloaded his three ground brigades.

When the Lancers' infantry entered Hereford ninety minutes after grounding, the war for the control of Kilbourne was effec tively over, though the battle continued on for three more days. Rand-Davion's heavy and assault 'Mechs gunned down anything that didn't immediately power down, preventing Leftenant General Mariva Kelly from ever consolidating her DMM into a fighting force. After a day in Hereford, the Lancers had captured every senior officer in the DMM and had taken Kilbourne PDZ commander Marshal Lisa Talrude and her staff into "protective custody" in expectation of trying her and Kelly on other charges.

Marshal Rand-Davion officially declared Kilbourne "pacified" on 22 April while his troops made their way to each military facility on the world, securing them—and the Kilbourne PDZ's logistics depot—for the Lancers and the Allied forces. Though the Kilbourne PDZ was near the boftom of the DQ's priority list, the fact that Rand-Davion managed" to capture or repair more than three-quarters of the DMM's equipment made the capture of Kilbourne one of the most significant in the early days of the Civil War.


Leftenant General Fritz Tull and his Nanking SMM were in serious trouble by the beginning of March. Surrounded by the First F-C and the First Kestrel Grenadiers, the bulk of the SMM was trapped within the city of Pellan while a few remote units held on to the key cities of Qingjiang and Wenfang, both more than four hundred kilometers distant.

The commander of the First F-C, Marshal Ally Swanson, broke off a mixed combat command to hit Qingjiang, the more important of the two cities. As soon as he learned of Swanson's move on Qingjiang, General Tull made one last breakout attempt. This time he was successful, hitting the underdefended border between the First F-C control region and that of the Kestrel Grenadiers. While his units widened the gap, General Tull mobilized what was left of his SMM, pouring through the gap in an orderly retreat.

Marshal Swanson immediately set out after the retreating SMM, hounding their rear as their 'Mechs and tanks tried to make a fighting withdrawal. At the same time, Marshal Agatha Stromp's Grenadiers paralleled the SMM's course while a few mixed bat tallons were transported by DropShip into the SMM's line of advance. Reinforced by the First F-C combat command dispatched to Qingjiang, this ad-hoc unit halted the SMM two days into its advance, a mere twelve hours from the city.

There, in the Huai River Valley, along the southern shores of Lake Huayuan, the two forces met for one final battle. Tull's SMM managed to take a few large hills, giving them a grand view of the entire battlefield, but the ad-hoc Allied unit held the SMM long enough for the rest of the First F-C and the Grenadiers to catch up. While the SMM held out for an amazing five days, they had no chance against the two veteran Allied units. General Tull finally capitulated on the 28th of March, though it took another six hours before all of the combatants finally accepted the cease-fire.

The two Allied units spent the next several months consolidating their hold over the world and making arrangements to hold the POWs they had Just captured. As the Civil War waged on, the Allied units left on the world would be forced to put down a num ber of small-scale revolts and deal with Capellan-sponsored terrorist activity, but the world itself would remain free, an integral part of the defensive line against the Confederation.


Hauptmann General Victor Amelio received orders on 25 March to immediately mobilize his Fourth Donegal Guards and assist in the defense of Sirdar from Marshal Lyle Cerny, acting Sirdar PDZ commander. The General did not have enough DropShip or JumpShip assets to transport the entire command to Sirdar in one move, however. He mobilized two brigades, leaving behind two infantry and one armored rcgi ment, anchored by his third 'Mech battalion, to guard the world alongside the local militia.

The Fourth Guards left the Velhas system on 4 April, while the local militia was still mobilizing itself. Two days later, a task force consisting of the First Federated Suns Armored Cavalry and the Ninth lllician Lancers entered the system, intent on hitting the Fourth Donegal before it could mobilize in support of other Loyalist activities in the war.

General Rudolph Chapman, commanding the Armored Cavalry, realized the Guards had probably already left the system when his ships failed to detect their JumpShips, but he hit the world anyway, quickly boxing the demi-brigade within their positions in Corvas and Cádiz and hitting the separated units with wave after wave of 'Mech and battle armor assaults. The planetary militia, commanded by former AFFC Hauptmann General Robert Casswell, opted out of the fight, pledging their neutrality. Corvas fell on the 13th, while Cádiz fell a mere day later.

Having received a message from Field Marshal Sortek indicating the Fourth Donegal was likely heading for Sirdar, Chapman left the world just as quickly as he had hit it, leaving behind a Ziliang infantry regiment to reinforce the Velhas militia.

Strategic Movements

While at first glance, it would seem that the majority of the strategic moves made during this First Wave were done by Allied commanders, the simple truth is that the end of the Confederation St. Ives war freed up a number of AFFS units committed to the defense of the Compact. Duke George Hasek quickly took advantage of the additional units made available to him to strengthen his newly-extended border with the Capellan Confederation, hoping that the addition of half a dozen veteran regiments would dissuade the Capellan Chancellor from attempting to take advantage of the Federated Suns' internal strife.

One of the earliest movements made within the Federated Suns was one ordered almost simultaneously by Duke Hasek and Field Marshal Sortek, transferring the Second Albion Training Cadre to Panpourto defend the Jalestar Aerospace and Challenge Systems factories within the system. Duke Hasek further added a regiment of marines to provide security for the space-bound Challenge Systems facilities and two ground regiments for Jalestar.

Following the battle for Sirdar, the participating units broke up, most heading for new battles In the coming waves. On the Loyalist side, the Twenty-second Avalon Hussars moved the entire

RCT to Taygeta, as did the Fourth Donegal Guards (which had absorbed the surviving elements of the Sirdar CMM, effectively bringing them back up to RCT status). The Second Chisholm's Raiders made their way to Atlas in the Alcyone PDZ under orders from New Avalon.

On the Allied side, the Davion Light Guards made their way directly to New Syrtis on orders from Duke George Hasek. Admiral Kossacks remained on Sirdar for some months while re-equipping his RCT before moving on to Hadnall, intending on joining the fray on Kathil. With the signing of the peace accords between Sun-Tzu Liao and Candace Liao, General Chapman, acting as "de facto commander of the Sirdar PDZ. moved his First Federated Suns Armored Cavalry and the two lllician Lancere regiments back into the Ziliang Salient, leaving the Twenty-first Lancers to recover on Sirdar itself, reinforced by several free regiments. After finalizing mop-up operations on Alcyone, the Third NAIS Cadre made its return to Lee. placing another AFFS unit on the Capellan border.

Toward the end of the First Wave, Field Marshal Gallagher issued orders to transfer the Third Lyran Regulars to Woodbine in expectation of again cutting Baron Sandoval off from another potential base of support.

As the Confederation—St. Ives war came to a conclusion, a number of AFFS mercenary and Regular Army units pledged to the security of the now-dissolved Compact again came available for assignment. The Seventh F-C, bloodied but still operational, spent some eight months on Spica, holding the formerly jointly-held world open for refugees and units looking for a safe world to rest. When the final peace negotiations went into effect, the Seventh gave Spica up to two expatriate St. Ives units and took up station on Alcyone, freeing up the Fifth Davion Guards for a move to Kathil and the Third NAIS Cadre for a return to Lee. The Twentieth Avalon Hussars remained on Alcyone until the Second Wave.

The Blackwind Lancers and Borodin's Vindicators, both comprised of St. Ives expatriates and financed primarily by Free Capella, took over the defense of Spica while they licked their wounds. Likewise, the Jie Fang Legion, a unit devoted to the removal of Confederation Influence in the former Compact and financed as a mercenary unit by Duke Hasek. officially took sta tion on Kittery.

Duke Hasek ordered the mercenary Arcadians, a unit filled with mostly former FedSuns MechWarriors, to Talcott, a world technically within the New Avalon Combat Region; Talcott was not only on the border of the Kathil PDZ but it was also home to one of General Motors' primary BattleMech factories. The Second Cunningham's Commandos returned to their base on Novaya Zemlya, reuniting with its first regiment and providing additional protection to the temporary PDZ and Combat Region headquarters. Finally, Khorsakov's Cossacks, released by Duchess Candace Liao from service to St. Ives, was awarded a contract by Duke Hasek and took up station on Bell, hoping to repay the Confederation for the atrocities committed during that war.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment