Other Federated Suns Actions

Fighting to one degree or another erupted on worlds throughout the Federated Suns as soon as word of the fighting on Kathil, Kentares and Nanking made its way out on the news webs and Victor Steiner-Davion made his broadcast on December 8th. While fighting to the degree seen on Kathil broke out on only a handful of worlds, many more saw brief flur ries of engagements between regular army units followed by a tense peace. Pro-Katherine and pro-Victor regimes on a few worlds toppled following popular uprisings sponsored by those owing allegiance to the other side, though that type of action flared most significantly within the Lyran Alliance's Skye region.

Bromhead (6 December 3062)

While the rest of the Federated Suns was gripped by the growing discontent throughout 3062, Bromhead was an amazing eye in the storm, especially as two AFFC units with opposing political views garrisoned the world. Marshal Donna lona of the Twenty second Avalon Hussars and Fleet Admiral William Kossacks of the Second Davion Guards recognized the futility of being drawn into a civil war that could only hurt the Federated Suns and kept their two units widely separated.

As soon as fighting broke out in the Capellan March, the two commanders knew it was only a matter of time before one of their subordinates made a terrible mistake. The two met with Colonel Wolfgang Hansen, commander of the mercenary unit Hansen's Roughriders, likewise stationed on Bromhead, to determine his position. Long-employed by the Lyran Alliance, Hansen announced his support for the Archon. The three com manders agreed that, rather than needlessly sacrifice their men and equipment, Admiral Kossacks would move his command off-world.

While preparing for the move, the Second Guards simply packed everything in their bases that wasn't bolted down into their DropShips. Logistics officers from the Twenty-second Hussars saw the Guards' actions as stealing from their supply dumps, however. On the 6th of December, two battalions of Hussars' armor and infantry entered the Second Guards' base in Richmond in an attempt to protect their supply cache. From all accounts, a brawl between two supply sergeants turned into a firefight between MPs. From there, the fight escalated, and likely would have grown to engulf the entire world had lona and Kossacks not personally Intervened to stop the fight.

While accusations flew back and forth between both units for the next two months, the Second Guards did eventually leave the world, transporting the entire command and three militia regiments to Mendham, where the Davion Light Guards were also stationed.

Alcyone (7 December 3062)

As long as its been a part of the Federated Suns, the world of Alcyone has played a key role in the military network designed to keep the Capellan Confederation in check. Following the invasion of the St. Ives Compact, it became even more important as a base to launch punitive raids from. Three AFFC units garrisoned the world: the Alcyone Capellan March Militia, the Twentieth Avalon Hussars and the Fifth Davion Guards.

While both the Hussars and the Guards voiced their opposition against the Archon long before the fighting even broke out on Solaris, the CMM felt its duty was to the Federation and to its leader, whoever that might be. Though there was little friction between the units prior to the flash on Kathil, the growing antagonism within the Capellan March hit the boiling point on the 1st of December when a communiqué from New Avalon instructed both the 20th Hussars and the Fifth Guards to leave the world. Realizing that the Archon likely wanted the units off the world so that she would have complete control of the Alcyone PDZ and its logistics network, General Jack Roberts and Marshal Linda Archer agreed to ignore those orders and remain on-world. From there, relations between the two AFFC line units and the CMM rapidly went downhill.

Deputy Alcyone PDZ commander Hauptmann General Galen Meinecke decided the world's fate in a memo dated that same day in which he directed logistics officers attached to his headquarters to quietly transfer ammunition, spare parts and other consumables from the dozen major military bases on-world to two major facilities guarded by the CMM. On the 5th, officers from the Twentieth Hussars stopped workers from the Quartermaster Corps from shipping 500 tons of supplies from their base in Hagarstown to the depot at Fort Gibson. A day later, the quartermasters returned with an MP platoon from the CMM, but General Roberts ordered them arrested and held for questioning. A day of intensive research showed that thousands of tons of supplies from both the 20th Hussars and the Fifth Guards had been routed to the CMM-guarded depots.

Both General Roberts and Marshal Archer drafted their own orders to draw their supplies back, sending convoys to the Fort Gibson and New Bolan depots the next day. When their convoys were arrested by the CMM, the two commanders each dispatched one of their senior officers, guarded by a mixed battalion, to retrieve their convoys. Unfortunately, Alcyone PDZ commander Marshal Kinsely Crossburns also chose the same time to visit Fort Gibson. Acting under General Meinecke's orders to arrest anyone attempting to enter the two bases without his permission, the Fort Gibson soldiers apparently detained the Marshal and his personal staff. When the Twentieth Hussars arrived, they recognized the Marshal for who he was and attempted a rescue. Marshal Crossburns was killed in the ensuing firefight, apparently shot by a CMM MP while trying to flee the area. The CMM forces garrisoning the fort were quickly drawn into the firefight and the 20th Hussars withdrew.

For their part, Roberts and Archer did not allow their units to be drawn into the Civil War immediately. While the CMM went to a high alert under the orders of Meinecke, the two senior officers conducted their own investigations to find out what really happened. While Meinecke ordered the CMM to continue the relocation of supplies, the two other units blocked the quartermasters' movements. When the two Allied commanders realized Meinecke's culpability in the incidents, they had he and his supporters arrested. Unfortunately, it was too late to prevent the Civil War from touching Alcyone.

As senior officer, Marshal Archer officially assumed command of the Alcyone PDZ on the 12th of December, but the CMM's Leftenant General Dan Kendall refused to recognize her authority and continued to follow the last directions Meinecke gave him. With theater commander Field Marshal Zellner unavailable (trapped on Kathil) to confirm Archer's appointment, the situation deteriorated quickly. Archer and Roberts mobilized their units to counter the CMM's moves to secure the logistics chain on the world for themselves. Both the Twentieth Hussars and the Fifth Guards took a number of CMM detachments without loss of life, but just as many fell in a firefight.

In the final week of the month, matters had gotten so bad that Archer had no choice but to authorize attacks upon the CMM's bases themselves. Field Marshal Zellner's support for Archer came on the 26th, by which time the two RCTs had bottled the majority of the CMM up within Fort Gibson and Hagarstown. General Roberts spent most of the next two weeks hunting down scattered elements of the CMM, capturing those that he could and crushing those that forced him to do so.

With two full RCTs arrayed against him, Kendall was content to hold on to the two depots. On the other hand, neither Allied general had any particular desire to assault the well-defended CMM positions. While they would undoubtedly prevail, it could only be at the cost of over half their commands. Both commanders surrounded the CMM positions and began to play the waiting game.

Brockway (11 December 3062)

As the countdown to Victor Steiner-Davion's broadcast ticked away, the situation on Brockway became more and more tense. With Hauptmann General Justin Leabo, commander of the Eleventh Avalon Hussars, publicly and very vocally voicing his support for the Archon and his utter disdain for Victor, mercenary Colonel Frederic Zaffson and his Frederic's Gazelles began to worry more and more. Colonel Zaffson put out a call to the other two regiments of the Lexington Combat asking for assistance. Responding, Major General- Malcolm Feinman immediately ordered his two other regiments td" Brockway, calling it a quick-mobilization exercise. The first battalions of Feinman's own Thiry-second arrived on the 30th of November and immediately secured the city of Coronado, while Zaffson ran his own exercises at Fort Kain.

As soon as he saw the other Lexington Combat Group regiments begin to arrive on-planet, Leabo ordered his Eleventh Hussars to secure the facilities they garrisoned against possible attack. Once the first DropShips from Marie's Golden Hammers arrived in-system, Feinman did the same.

When Victor made his broadcast, the two generals slowly began to consolidate their control over the planet. The two sides came into conflict for the first time when a mechanized infantry company tried to secure the rail bridge over the Corwin River. Connecting the far-flung Eleventh Hussars positions in Rowlette and Whiteville via mag-lev rail through the Beautains Highlands, the bridge was already guarded by a detachment from the Gazelles. A tense stand-off, in which both sides fired warning shots, turned into a bloodbath, with the surviving Eleventh infantry retreating in rout.

From that point, the two forces sparred with each other at range, looking for weaknesses. Though Leabo had the larger force, he faced three veteran mercenary BattleMech regiments with his RCT. Rather than throw his entire unit into the meat grinder, he contented himself with waiting until a weakness opened up. For his part, Feinman played it safe as he was still awaiting most of his support and auxiliary units to arrive on-planet. With the advantage in mobility and firepower, he pounced on what Hussars formations he could. This stand-off continued throughout the rest of December and all of January.

Demeter (7 January 3063)

Another world gripped by the tension of having two units on opposite sides of the Civil War garrisoning it, Demeter didn't flash to war until the 7th of January, though both the Fifteenth Deneb Light Cavalry and the Fifth Crucis Lancers nearly came to blows a dozen times before. War finally broke out when Marshal Michael Lipstein lost contact with the mixed combat command he'd sent through the Kuriak Mountains to gain a surprise position on the Fifth Lancers' right flank. Though Fifth Crucis commander General Olaf Richardson denied any part in the disappearance of the Fifteenth unit, Lipstein ordered his unit into immediate action. Equally angered at the loss of his men—who had apparently fallen so quickly that they didn't even manage to send a distress call— and the loss of his exec, Leftenant General Nicole Haswell, Lipstein pushed his unit into an assault that the Fifth Crucis Lancers were prepared to meet.

Steering clear of the Kuriak Mountains to the north, Major General Meshach Felsner lead a deml-brigade of cavalry, scout armor and mechanized infantry around Lipstein's assault force and into his rear areas, hitting the Fifteenth's command post in Dresan and disrupting the flow of supplies to the front, where Richardson firmly held against Lipstein's greater BattleMech numbers.

The battle for Demctcr lasted only three weeks before Felsner's attacks on the Fifteenth's lines of supply took their toll. Feinting with a heavy push toward the Fifth Crucis' sec ondary depot at Camp Golan, Lipstein managed to pull back and consolidate the remainder of his unit in Dresan, where he ordered his unit to evacuate the planet. Detailing Felsner to continue to push Lipstein to the very end, Richardson pulled the rest of his own unit back and likewise ordered them to prepare for lift-off, intending on hunting down the Fifteenth and crushing it before Lipstein had the chance to come back and do the same to the Fifth Lancers.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment