1. Tie one end of the piece of string around the pencil. Cut the string so it won't touch the bottom of the jar when the pencil is laid across the opening.
2. Wet the string and roll it in sugar. Lay the pencil over the top of the jar so the string hangs down inside the jar. Don't let the string stick to the jar sides.
3. Bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring so that the sugar dissolves.
4. Remove from heat as soon as it boils; stir in the food coloring and flavor.
5. Pour the mixture into the jar.
6. Let the sugar water sit for a few days in a sunny window. The sun will help the water evaporate faster.
7. You should start seeing crystals develop in a few hours, but let it sit for at least three days. The crystals will grow larger the longer you leave the string in the jar.
Was this article helpful?