According to a veteran of the 2nd New Hampshire Infantry Regiment, when the unit was raised in 1861 'the uniforms were gray, the jaunty forage caps and "spiketail" dress coats banded with red cord'. The New-Hampshire Gazette of 11 May 1861 described the uniform as including a 'grey coat and pants, grey overcoat, grey fatigue cap, two flannel shirts, one pair of flannel drawers, one extra pair of socks, one pair of shoes, and one large camp blanket'. This was what was decided upon for the state uniform when the war began, with the addition of an officer's uniform that included US Army coats and trousers (albeit with red stripes down the legs), and red képis with dark blue bands trimmed with gold.
Most New Hampshire troops from the 4th1 Infantry Regiment on received a revised state uniform that conformed to US Army regulations. These were described by Henry Little of the 7th New Hampshire Infantry as '"keg hats" of black felt, trimmed with feathers and brasses, dark blue dress coats, dark blue trousers, light blue overcoats, dark blue blouses, and dark blue fatigue caps, the trimmings had chevrons of light blue, except the dark blue . . . [chevron] on the overcoats'. Generally, these forage caps were decorated by New Hampshiremen with the brass letters 'NHV' on the lower edge of the crown, below the regulation bugle-horn, a regimental number within the loop, and with a company letter above that.
Another state preculiarity was an oval, US Army-type belt plate marked in Roman letters 'NHSM'. A cartridge box plate so marked was also issued. After about 1862, however, these were used by troops within the state, while those at the front wore US plates.
New Hampshire equipped its first two infantry regiments with M1842 muskets and the 3rd with P1858 Enfields; later regiments received their longarms directly from the US Army.
Was this article helpful?