1. G. Jackson: Concise History, p. 168
2. D. Smyth: Germany and the onset of the Spanish Civil War, in P. Preston, ed., Revolution and War, p. 243
3. C. Leitz: in P. Preston and A. McKenzie, eds, op. cit., p. 63
4. M. Alpert: A New International History of the Spanish Civil War (Basingstoke,
5. P.M.H. Bell: The Origins of the Second World War in Europe (London, 2nd edn 1997), p. 240
8. H. Thomas: op. cit., p. 941; D. Smyth in P. Preston: Revolution and War, p.
10. C. Leitz in P. Preston and A. McKenzie, eds, op. cit., p. 72
11. D. Smyth in P. Preston, Revolution and War, p. 264, fn. 53
12. ibid.: p. 257; M. Alpert: New International History, p. 96
13. E. Moradiellos: The gentle general: the official British perception of General Franco during the Spanish Civil War, in P. Preston and A. McKenzie, eds, op. cit., pp. 1-19
14. A. Adamthwaite: Grandeur and Misery: France's Bid for Power in Europe
15. Quoted in M. Alpert: New International History, p. 48
18. E. Weber: The Hollow Years: France in the 1930s (London, 1996), p. 168
19. T. Buchanan: Britain and the Spanish Civil War (Cambridge, 1997)
21. Referring to G.L. Steer: The Tree of Gernika: A Field Study of Modern War
22. As a postscript to this section, research the history and message of Picasso's painting Guernica, if possible comparing it with other artistic statements about the Spanish Civil War such as Robert Motherwell's series of abstract paintings Elegies to the Spanish Republic.
Source A: Changing Times CD-rom (News Multimedia, 1993).
Source B: W. Foss and C. Gerahty: op. cit., p. 438.
Source D: H. Browne: Spain's Civil War (Harlow, 1996), pp. 125-6.
Source F: L. Lee: A Moment of War (Harmondsworth, 1991), pp. 92-4. Source G: Translated by Norman Denny, in A. Kenwood, ed., op. cit., pp. 258, 259-60.
Source H: E. Hemingway: For Whom the Bell Tolls (English edn; London,
1941), pp. B90-1. Source I: W. Foss and C. Gerahty: op. cit., p. B9B.
Was this article helpful?