Military Schools

El: Cadet, Infantry Commanders' School, 1918-20 Most Red commanders' schools were set up in the

PR I artillery commander at an observation post during the battle Jar Spassk, Soviet l'ar Past, 1922. lie wears the peaked cap oj the artillery, which hat! a bottle-green crown and black velvet band piped red. The crossed cannon-barrel cap badge is oj brass and removed from Isarist shoulder-boards. The sleeve patch oj the People's Revolutionary Army oj the Far Eastern Republic, with its black border, identifies him as a kompolka (regiment commander).

PR I artillery commander at an observation post during the battle Jar Spassk, Soviet l'ar Past, 1922. lie wears the peaked cap oj the artillery, which hat! a bottle-green crown and black velvet band piped red. The crossed cannon-barrel cap badge is oj brass and removed from Isarist shoulder-boards. The sleeve patch oj the People's Revolutionary Army oj the Far Eastern Republic, with its black border, identifies him as a kompolka (regiment commander).

premises of former Tsarist junior officer schools and military academies, and employed the same equipment and, sometimes, the same teaching staff. The junior officers' training course remained practically unaltered, with the exception of new communist disciplines. Besides training, cadets were often involved in patrol duties, the suppression of uprisings and in punitive expeditions; and on occasion they were brought in as the last reserve in battle.

This kursant (cadet) wears the peelotka or pilot's cap. These khaki caps had been adopted by the Imperial Army at the end of 1916, to be worn under steel Adrian helmets provided by the French, and from the spring of 1917 they were issued to all yunkers (officer cadets). There were so many peelotkas in storage, that they were the natural choice for Red kursants, although alterations were made: thev were dved dark green, and piping was added, as well as a cloth patch in branch-of-service colour. This patch, worn on the right side, had one or two brass buttons, to which a black leather chinstrap was attached. A red star badge, or in some schools an old metal shoulder-board badge, was worn on the front of the cap.

Kursants wore standard issue uniforms, but they were made of better quality materials. After graduation they were given a different uniform, a light-grey peaked cap, black gymnasterka, blue, blue-grey or khak: breeches, and commanders' jackboots. Chevrons with the school emblem or branch badge were sometimes worn on the left sleeve. Greatcoats had collar patches with a single brass button and a branch badge below it.

F.2: Commander, 2nd Petrograd Red Commanders' Artillery School, l()18-22

Units stationed in Petrograd in particular, because of the political importance of the location, had to participate in regular parades. In the first years of Soviet ruk the uniforms of former Imperial lifeguard regiments and military academies were issued at some commai ders' schools for these parades. This elaborate clothing which had been in storage since the beginning of thi Great War, was not always issued in complete sets, an. items of different regiments were often mixed u: sometimes with comical results.

These old uniforms were altered to suit the ne political reality: the metal headgear fittings were liberally covered with red paint, and Soviet symbols wei installed wherever possible. This Red commandc; wears the shako ot the old Mikhailovskv Artiller College, with a red star in place of the Tsarist eagle He has an old artillery greatcoat w ith patches and co -lar piping, and a rank badge above his left cuff. Tf leather equipment is of 1911 issue.

E3: Cadet, 1st Tver Soviet Cavalry Commanders' School, 1918-20

The kursant (cadet) here is dressed in the old 'gal uniform for yunkers of the Tverskoy cavalry collet:. The uniform for everyday wear was as follows: peaked or peakless cap with a dark green band an light blue crown, piped dark green; khaki gymnaster and sharovary breeches; cavalry jackboots; and a cavalr greatcoat with light-blue collar patches piped dart green.

Cadets of the 1st Petrograd Soviet Cavali Commanders' School wore the even more opulent unil form of the old Life-Guard Hussar Regiment. T'rd consisted of a brown fur busby with white plume, a scarlet dolman, blue breeches and a white pelisse, th yellow cords. Only the sabretache was discarded, ice it was considered to be of no value to a Red burnt. Most of the newly formed Red commanders' hools did not, of course, have old stocks of such lav-clothing, and their cadets simply wore the uniforms their respective regiments.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment